Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Misty Blu


Misty was a Russian Blue stray. She wandered up to the house in December of 1998 before we got the fence erected. She was about a year old.

Misty had a lot of issues. She was a very nervous cat. Having been stray for an unknown amount of time, she did not like the outdoors much. She also developed a fear of one of the 5 kittens we adopted in the next couple of years. They were both spayed and neutered, but Teddy, one of the kittens, thought he could do what he wanted. Keeping them separated was a job unto itself.

Misty also had a fear of not ever going to have food available. She would eat all that was put out.

The combination of her fear of no food and Teddy's constant harassment led to her becoming severely overweight.

Whether or not she became ill later or she suffered from just being too stressed out all the time, I have no idea. She eventually developed what is commonly known as a fatty liver. This is the quick version of what fatty liver is in cats. I will post a health topic on this condition in the future for others to reference. Fatty liver happens when a cat for unknown or known reasons stops eating for three or more days. When anyone - cat, dog, human, whatever - stops eating, the body starts to break down fat reserves to feed itself. A cat's liver is made to process protein not fat. When this happens in a cat, the can develop cirrhosis of the liver or more commonly known as fatty liver. This is almost always a secondary condition, meaning it happens because they have stopped eating as a result of either stress or illness. The vet I had at the time did not explain this to me. I had another cat, Teddy's sister, Mittens, pass away from the very same condition before I found out what it was. It usually occurs in cats that are overweight and lose weight quickly. By quickly, I do not mean go from 15 pounds to 5 pounds. I mean a 15 pound cat dropping to about 10 pounds in about a week or so.

The condition is treatable BUT you have to find the reason the cat has stopped eating.

We never found what was the underlying cause with Misty because no information was given to me from my vet. He basically told me to take her home to die, which is what I did.

I cared for her the best I could. She lasted two (2) weeks, which is about the time they last. Period. No exceptions that I have heard.

Misty came to live in my bedroom. On the night she died, she moaned all night. Several other animals were in the room with her. No one slept. She vomited a tarry black substance several times. I wish now I had considered having her euthanized. I promised her that no other cat would go through what she did that night. If a cat looked to be coming to their end in the manner she did, it will be the only time I will consider euthanasia. I am a firm believer in allowing them to end their life naturally with me by their side to the end, for I have been entrusted with their care. I cannot betray them when they need me most just to ease my suffering; however, when it comes to this condition, I sincerely do not want them to suffer. I hope I can make the right decision by the animal and by God at the time.

When, Mittens died, I prayed a lot for guidance, but, then, I guess you will read of her when I get to her story. I suppose I will have to do some fancy posting when I get to them 5 kittens.

Misty passed away on March 6, 2003; the same year as my beloved Gizzy. He was one of the critters in the room with her when she died. She is buried in my Paws4Critters cemetery. In time I will also make a post about the cemetery and possibly include a photo.

2 comments:

  1. This was a hard story to read. It reminded me of the too many times, during my life, in which I had to be by the side of my beloved pets, while they past. I too, use to not believe in putting them down, until I had one go through such a long, horrible death, it changed my position on what is more humane. I agree with you- It now depends on what illness they have.
    Many hugs to you for being an animal lover and taking our role seriously, to take care of our animals, which God put us in charge over.
    (((hugs)))
    Tracey
    http://www.bonanzle.com/inspired

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Thanks for that post. I just recently had to put my little cat to sleep. She was so miserable, loosing weight, not eating and not drinking. And my vet could not determine what was wrong with her. Very hard.

    You're a kind and loving person to do what you do. I have 2 cats inside and 15 cats outside that I feed, shelter, and protect. All are strays, all have their shots and all have been fixed. I have a wonderful vet who tends to give me a break on price when I bring one of them in for whatever reason. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete