Friday, March 25, 2011

Mourning a Member of the Critter Gang

Today, The Critter Gang is in mourning.

Chico & Copper ~ Best Buds
Copper's last photo March 17, 2011
The Critter house seems a bit quieter today...

Well, it's a sad day in the Critter house with the passing a great little friend who has been part of the Critter Gang for 11 1/2 years.

Dad's dog, Copper, has been having some health issues for the past year, some of which are stated above.

He began with hypothyroidism last year, which he was taking levothyroxin for. Then, his liver showed slight problems, which he was taking S-Adenosyl (sp) & milk thistle for.

About a month ago, he was diagnosed with crepidation in both knees of his hind legs. He needed braces for them, as they do not do doggie knee replacements. The crepidation was so bad he had bone chips in the area of his knees. Since the chipin wasn't going all that well (had 1 donation which I have to contact that person abt), we had finally figured out how to pay for the braces for his legs when he suddenly fell ill on Tuesday morning.

I spoon fed him Tuesday; then, I hand fed him on Wednesday.

I called the vet on Wednesday & they had me drop him off this morning, Thursday. Because they were busy & had no appts, they examined him in between appts & surgeries. He almost immediately went into an oxygen cage. His normal oxygen level should have been abt 94/95+; his was 81. His exam did not go well; so, she followed it up with xrays, ekg & blood work. All bad. One of the things they look at with the blood work didn't even register on the chart because it was too high. An indication of organ failure.

When she, the vet, called me to tell me the bad news, she told me his liver probably already failed and his kidneys were in the process of failure. Both his lungs & heart were having problems & his blood pressure was difficult to get because his feet pads were already cooling down. She asked me to let him stay until 3pm today just to give him a little more time in the oxygen cage since he was resting peacefully. I said ok. Within about 1/2 an hour of our conversation, one of the vet techs called and told me I needed to come get him now so he could go at home. His oxygen level had dropped too much and he could go anytime. I left then.

By the time I got there, his bowels had already let go. They let me stay with him in one of the exam rooms for a few minutes in case he passed then. His bladder released while I held him, but he was still breathing. The vet helped me get him in the truck; so, I could get him home. I was hoping Mom & Chico, Mom's dog, as well as the other dogs, would get to see him before he passed. The vet is abt 6 rural miles from me. I made it up to the intersection of the road her clinic is on & the road I live on where there is a red light. I had to wait at the light, figures. He seized there at the light. I petted him and talked to him, but I don't think he made it home. I rushed him in the house for them to see him, but he was pretty much gone by then.

So, it is a very sad day in the Critter house, as the Critter Gang mourns the loss of their oldest brother.

Copper was 13 1/2 years old, at least. He was estimated to be abt 2 years old when he became a member of The Critter Gang.

While at the vet's office, I kept telling him to "go see Daddy", "Daddy's waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge". He didn't really show recognition when I said his name, but whenever I said 'Daddy', he would turn to look at me. You have to wonder.

Rest in peace, Copper. I know you and Dad are spending tonite together. We will miss you!

I will, like I did with Devil, re-post the posts that were made to ChipIn here. I ended the ChipIn for Copper's leg braces for obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment