Saturday, January 22, 2011

Devil's Bad Eye - January 3, 2011

Another post from the Chip-In page...
As I am sure most can tell, Devil has a bad left eye.

A couple years ago, Devil got into a territorial fight with another roaming male believed to be Taz.

Taz is either Devil's brother or son... their births have been a while and memories being what they are...

My neighbor, when she was here, tried to care for Devil's eye without vet care. Since at that time, she claimed him for her's, I had to remain out of it. Something I now regret.

My neighbor told me once Devil didn't take kindly to having her put anything in his eye. I can understand, as I have since tried to get some meds in the eye myself when it becomes irritated. He puts up a fight, but I actually have gotten some in it a few times.

When Devil saw the vet in Aug 2010, she said, naturally, the injury was healed over and there was some scar tissue. Also, his eyelashes are now turned inward causing irritation to his eye. The irritation causes him to scratch at it. Because of the irritation, the sensitivity and him scratching, the skin around his eye now gets frequent infections. I got some antibacterial ointment from the vet, but getting it into his eye does prove difficult most of the time.

It is possible this injury is probably the injury that lead to Devil's FIV positive condition.

I was doing a little research on FIV when I found eye infections are common enough with FIV cats that he does not need any additional help from an old injury like the one described here.

It is possible, if the FIV becomes Feline AIDS, this old eye injury & it's chronic infections could deal a deadly blow.

I am hoping to have the injured eye corrected when I have him neutered. I think it will help him live a better, healthier life without the constant irritation.

With any luck, having him neutered will also curb some of his territorial habits.

I am trying to give this poor guy a fighting chance at a somewhat happy existence.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer... Robyn & Devil

No comments:

Post a Comment